When Do You Need to Use a Belly Band?
Every pregnant woman will reach a point somewhere in their second or third trimester when they can no longer fit into their favorite jeans. Try as you might, that top button just won’t button, and depending how far along you are, maybe the zipper doesn’t zip either! This is just part of the journey through motherhood. But now you’re ready for a wardrobe saving product: the pregnancy belly band. Also commonly referred to as a maternity band, the best belly band can help you extend the life of your pre-pregnancy wardrobe by extending the waistband of your pants and jeans.
A maternity belly band is a thin but sturdy layer of coverage that you wear around your midsection, specifically right around your waistband. This allows you to wear your pre-pregnancy pants unbuttoned and/or unzipped without them falling down. This garment is purely designed for proper coverage, and should not be confused with a pregnancy belly band; while they are similar, they are two different products. See our comparison post on Pregnancy Belly Band vs. Maternity Belt and our top picks for favorite Maternity Belt if you need a product that also offers belly support and pain relief as well as wardrobe assistance.
Mom Pro Tips for Choosing the Best Belly Band
- Make sure you order the right size or the product is one size fits all. Most brands have their own sizing chart so pay attention for that. You should not be able to notice that you are wearing a maternity support band besides the gentle compression feeling. Otherwise, there should be no scratching, sliding off, or uncomfortable squeezing. The key is snug but never too tight.
- You’ll love your band so much, you will probably find yourself wearing it as much as possible. Make it easier on yourself by buying two products, that way you always have one to wear when the other is being washed. Also look for a machine washable garment so it’s easier to keep clean.
- Always consult with your doctor before wearing any compression garments. Women with abnormal blood pressure or compromised circulation may be advised against the use of a band.
- A belly band can provide minimal back support for your lower back, but if you are experiencing lower back pain, round ligament pain, sacroiliac joint pain, and/or more discomfort, considering purchasing a pregnancy support belt instead. These products are able to help support the weight of your growing belly and can also double as a pregnancy band.
- Make sure you are keeping your abdomen strong, especially exercising the transverse abdominis muscle. Overuse of a support garment can cause the muscles underneath to deactivate and make them weaker. This can cause more weakness in your hips, waist, abdominal muscles, and posture.
- A band can be used as a post partum support baby belly wrap for a healing postpartum belly. It will comfortably provide additional pelvic and abdominal support while your muscles heal and re-strengthen, as well as create a slimming and shaping effect for your post pregnancy belly.
Best Belly Band Reviews
The bellaband by Ingrid & Isabel is one of the top rated brands on Amazon and has been holding up pants since 2001. It comes in three colors: black, nude, and white, and is machine washable for easy cleaning. You can wear it folded over to hold up unbuttoned pre-pregnancy jeans, full panel to hold up maternity pants that are slipping or falling down, and after delivery for a smoothing belly cover to ease the transition back to your prenatal jeans. It comes it four sizes and features silicone strips to hold the band firmly in place.
Maddie Moo boasts that their band’s composition, density, and shape creates the perfect combination for a great addition to your pregnancy wardrobe. Its seamless design and breathable, elastic material allows for comfortable, everyday wear. Their flexible and breathable spandex cotton is designed to fit during pregnancy and post pregnancy, recovering its shape after each wear and wash. Just like the Ingrid & Isabel, it can be worn folded down or pulled up and the three-pack comes in easy to blend colors heathered gray, black, and white.
Made in the USA, Belevation’s belly band is made of seamless, breathable mesh that’s perfect for extra pant support. It’s a blend of nylon and spandex and can be machine washed and dried. The engineered support panel provides comfort and a gentle lift. It comes in four sizes, so use the Belevation size chart in order to determine the perfect size for you – note that lots of consumers report that this product runs larger than expected. Choose from 2 available colors: black or gray.
If you’re looking for something less bulky, the Maeband waistband pants extender could be the perfect product for you. Unlike the previous three products, this belly band does not wrap all the way around your belly, but instead simply bridges the gap on your unbuttoned pants. Pick from three colors: midnight black, pearl white, and royal blue. This product is hand-wash only, but it’s so small that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. The velcro closure strap can fasten to accommodate many different sizes. The downside is that this waistband extender does not offer any supportive qualities for your stomach and cannot act as a postnatal tummy wrap during recovery.
Review of the Best Belly Bands
If you’re looking to extend the life of your pre-pregnancy wardrobe or even your maternity clothes, a belly band would be the perfect product for you. There are so many moms out there that rave about the belly band and all that is has to offer. You should also check out our top picks for best maternity support belt if you’re looking for additional support to help alleviate the stress on
your body and relieve back pain as the baby grows and puts more strain on your back.
For extra comfort when you’re laying down, we recommend picking out a pregnancy pillow! They’re great for helping you sleep, even when your growing tummy makes it more difficult.
“This was a game changer for pregnancy.” -Janelle
“Really works to keep my pants up! Love this product. I even use it with stretchy pants that don’t stay up because my pregnant belly is too big and the pants stay up great!” -Elizabeth
“So far this product has been amazing.” -Lisa
“I have been dealing with sore belly for months now. Heard about belly bands but never tried them. Finally gave in. Best thing I ever did.” -Toby’s Mama